About Our Destination: Germany & Czech Republic
Germany uses the Euro. Czech Republic uses the Koruna. Check www.xe.com for current rates.
German and Czech, but many people speak English.
We will be offering a 1-night post in Prague, December 11–12, 2020. Information will be available approximately 11 months prior to the trip. Please check our Vacation Stretcher tab for more information.
Many of the tours are walking tours on cobblestone streets, and the possibility of snow and icy conditions. There are staircases on the ship, along with an accessible lift to assist guests with mobility issues. The lift does not go to the top deck, where often guests need to go to disembark the ship in some ports. Guests must be able to do short amounts of stairs and walk 1 to 2 miles per day on uneven surfaces without assistance. Motorized wheel chairs cannot be accommodated on board and may be difficult to maneuver during guided tours on land in the winter. Olivia will provide a ‘Gentle Walkers’ group on included tours whenever possible to accommodate those who need a little more time to get from place to place. Please note we are not able to offer a Gentle Walkers group on the optional tours. If you are not able to get on a bus or walk without assistance, you are required to bring someone who can assist you.
- Thursday, December 3, 2020 – Frankfurt: Overnight at hotel
- Friday, December 4, 2020– Frankfurt – Travel to Mainz, Germany for Embarkation
- Saturday, December 5, 2020 – Main River Village
- Sunday, December 6, 2020 – Würzburg
- Monday, December 7, 2020 – Bamberg
- Tuesday, December 8, 2020 – Nuremberg
- Wednesday, December 9, 2020 – Nuremberg Disembarkation - Travel to Prague, Czech Republic
- Thursday, December 10, 2020 – Prague
- Friday, December 11, 2020 – Prague: End of the program
Before Your Trip
What’s not included?
- 1-night hotel in Frankfurt (breakfast) December 3
- Transfer from host hotel in Frankfurt to the ship on December 4
- Accommodations on Avalon’s Tranquility II riverboat for 5 nights, December 4-9
- Accommodations for 2 nights at Prague Hotel, December 9-11
- Included sightseeing tours in Mainz, Würzburg, Bamberg, Nuremburg and Prague
- Visits to several different Christmas markets
- All meals as indicated in itinerary below while on board the ship
- Breakfast at included Frankfurt & Prague hotels
- Wine, beer, or soft drinks with included onboard lunches and dinners
- Coffee, tea, juices during all meals on board the ship
- Premium coffees, cappuccinos, lattes, hot chocolate, and teas on board the ship
- Cookies and fresh fruit available throughout the day on board the ship
- Complimentary bottled water replenished in rooms daily on board the ship
- Complimentary WiFi on board the ship
- Complimentary Nordic walking sticks on board the ship
- Transfer from ship in Nuremberg to Prague on December 9
- Tips to all local guide’s and bus drivers on all included tours and optional tours
- Gratuities toships staff and Avalon Cruise Director
- Olivia’s signature entertainment and programming
- Olivia Staff assistance throughout
Travel documentation and identification
You will need a passport that is valid for six months past the date of the trip. If you are not a U.S. citizen, please check with both your country’s consulate and the consulates of the countries we will be visiting to make sure that you do not need an entry visa or other additional documentation.
If you are a U.S. citizen, you do NOT need to get a visa. If you are not a U.S. citizen, please check with both your country’s consulate to make sure you do not need an entry visa or other additional documentation.
Please check with your local Public Health Department or personal physician regarding immunization requirements for all countries on your itinerary. You may also check the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s website. Click on the Travelers’ Health section, then click on the Destinations link and choose United States in the “For Travelers” pull-down menu.
Unexpected events can cause you to cancel your vacation. Because we are committed to this charter, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined in our Olivia Terms & Conditions.
- Transfer from airport to host hotel in Frankfurt, hotel to airport in Prague, optional tours, alcoholic beverages and soft drinks (except where indicated), meals not indicated in below itinerary
- Meals not on board the ship, with exception of Breakfast on Day 2 andBreakfast only Days 7, 8 and 9
- Laundry, phone/fax, and salon services
2020 WINTER WONDERLAND & CHRISTMAS MARKET RIVERBOAT
|Cancellation Fee 270 days or more prior to trip date
||$500 per person
|Cancellation Fee 210-269 days prior to trip date
||25% of trip cost
|Cancellation Fee 150-209 days prior to trip date
||50% of trip cost
|Cancellation Fee 120-149 days prior to trip date
||75% of trip cost
Cancellation Fee 0-119 days prior to trip date
||100% of trip cost
Olivia recommends that you purchase a travel protection plan to protect yourself and your trip investment from the unexpected. Now more than ever it’s extremely important to think about the unexpected. It is important to purchase the travel protection within 21 days of your initial invoice date in order to receive the most comprehensive coverage, but it isn’t too late. Consider travel protection for Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption, Emergency Medical and Emergency Evacuation, Trip Delay, Baggage Delay and more.
Please refer to the Policy/Description of Coverage for a summary of the terms, conditions, exclusions and limitations of the applicable Protection Plan.
For a travel insurance quote, more information or to purchase a protection plan, please call Olivia at 800-631-6277 (within the U.S.) or 415-962-5700 (outside the U.S.) and select option 1 to speak with a travel consultant.
Joining the Olivia.com and Facebook trip groups
If you'd like to chat with people who are going on the trip, sign up for the official Olivia trip group,Olivia's 2020 Winter Wonderland & Christmas Market Riverboat Official Trip Group on our connect page. You can also join the Olivia’s Winter Wonderland & Christmas Market Riverboat 2020 Group on Facebook.
Travel and arrival
Where to fly into/out of
You will need to fly into Frankfurt, Germany (FRA) and out of Prague, Czech Republic (PRG).
Flights must arrive into Frankfurt, Germany (FRA). Flights can arrive at any time on December 3, 2020. Your arrival day is free to explore on your own. You overnight at a Frankfurt hotel.
Departure out of Prague on December 11:
Flights may depart from Prague - Ruzyně International Airport (PRG) at any time on December 11, as we overnight at our program hotel in Prague on December 10.
For all other destinations, or to assist you with a taxi to the airport, the hotel concierge can assist you to your next destination.
Airfare:Please check our airline discounts page for the latest discounts available approximately 11 months prior to trip: http://www.olivia.com/Travel/CalendarContent/AirfareDeals.aspx
Preferred travel agency
Olivia’s preferred travel agency
We are pleased to partner with Conlin Travel. A full-service, LGBTQ-friendly agency with staff located across the country, Conlin Travel looks forward to assisting you with your air travel and hotel reservations for stays outside of Olivia’s pre- and post-trip packages. For air and hotel bookings, a small fee will be applied to your overall cost. For assistance in making a reservation, please call Conlin Travel: 888-278-1698 (M–F: 8:30 am–5:30 pm EST)
If you already have a reservation with Conlin and need emergency after-hours service, please call 800-823-1189.
Olivia Honeymoons and Celebrations
Register at Olivia Honeymoon Wishes for your honeymoon, anniversary or other special celebration; browse through the selections and let your friends know just how easy it is for them to purchase a gift for you.
Olivia Travel Gear Store
To help you get ready for your next vacation, we’ve partnered with New Headings to create Olivia Travel Gear, our own online gear and apparel store, featuring items from leading brands, including Craghoppers, Patagonia, Teva, Outdoor Research, and Eagle Creek. Visit olivia.newheadings.com for more information!
While there is no luggage limit on the cruise itself, airlines often restrict (or charge) for excess baggage. Because each airline is different, and the regulations change over time, please check with your airline for baggage allowances. For travel in Europe, we recommend no more than one large piece and a smaller carry-on for ease of travel. The Riverboat ship requests all guests carry one piece of checked-luggage each to ensure enough space on the coaches for everyone.
Transfers and meeting up with Olivia
Getting to the ship
Your transfer to the ship from our Frankfurt host hotel is included. (Time to be confirmed). The driving time is approximately 1 hour. Information on time and exact ship location will be in final documents.
During your trip
The Avalon Tranquility II delivers an intimate setting, along with two full decks of suites featuring Wall-to-Wall Panoramic Windows that transform the living space into a unique Open-Air BalconySM. With 200 square feet, Panorama SuitesSM are more than 30% larger than the industry standard, giving you the rare opportunity to wake each morning to the enchanting scenery and fresh breezes. Onboard amenities include complimentary computer use in public areas and Wi-Fi access, a Fitness Center, and a spacious Sky Deck with premium lounge chairs, shade system, whirlpool, and the delightful Sky Bistro. Built 2015.
- Wall-to-Wall Panoramic Windows
- Sky Deck with premium lounge chairs and shade awnings
- Fitness Center
- Non-smoking interior and staterooms
- Elegant, contemporary design
- Outside viewing deck
- Headsets for guided shore excursions
- Friendly, English-speaking crew and Cruise Director
- Sightseeing with certified local guides
- Onboard lectures
- Room service for continental breakfast & beverages (service fee applies)
- Sky deck whirlpool
- Complimentary computer use in public areas
- Complimentary Wi-Fi access
- Hair salon
- Bicycles available onboard for complimentary check-out (weather permitting)
- Alternate light lunch and dinner in the Panorama Bistro
- Nordic walking sticks available onboard for complimentary check-out
- Behind-the-scenes galley tour
- Nordic walking sticks available onboard for complimentary check-out
- Local FavoritesSM onboard experiences to bring the customs, cultures, and tastes of your destinations to life, including local entertainers, artisans & experts
- English-speaking TV channels with over 100 free movie options
- Onboard assistance is available to recommend, reserve and further personalize your cruise
- Delectable petite portions of regional specialties, with wines, in the Panorama Bistro
- Sky Deck game area
- Self-serve beverage station with complimentary tea, hot chocolate & premium coffees, including decaf options
- Well-stocked library with books and board games
- Fresh fruit available throughout the day
- Full-size closet mirror
Fine dining on board offers European cuisine. Breakfast and lunch are served buffet style, and dinner is sit-down menu service.
Special mobility and dietary needs
If you have special medical or dietary needs, please advise us at the time of booking. Complex food allergies and/or needs must be submitted to the cruise line 30 days prior to the cruise. Guests with diabetic, lean/light, low cholesterol, low sodium, vegetarian, kosher, gluten-free, lactose-free can be accommodated. Please contact Olivia Guest Services at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have not notified us of your dietary needs.
The cabins have 110- and 220-volt electricity. Adapters should be 2-round prongs.
Entertainment and programming
We will bring two Olivia entertainers to perform on several evenings, as well as utilize some of the local entertainment along the way.
There will be special port talks about the history of the areas we visit, holiday stories as well as suggestions on what you can do with your free-time.
River cruising is about port destinations. Don’t expect the same ship-activity packed schedule you might find on a big ship or resort! A typical day is a walking tour of a new city or village, lunch on board, another walking tour, free time, or optional tour to explore more of the area. Perhaps you’ll enjoy a fun and informative lecture on the history of the area or take that well-deserved nap. It’s your vacation! In the evenings, we are delighted with local entertainment or one of our two Olivia entertainers. After the shows, enjoy our river-ship version of “Club O” with our talented staff taking turns being a “Guest DJ” to provide dancing music in the main lounge for one hour after each show. Or you may choose to get to bed early for your next full day!
A walking and/or city tour is included in each of the ports visited. Optional tours are available to book on board that range from approximately €34 to €60 or more. These tours do not conflict with the included tours.
We will designate a group on each included tour as a “gentle walkers” group. This is for those who need a little extra time walking, perhaps have scooters, canes and even for photographers who like to stop and take more photos. For those with mobility issues, we suggest purchasing a cane that can also fold out to be a seat, so you can rest while the group stops to listen to the guide. A sample of one can be found on amazon.com Otherwise, the ship does provide “Nordic” walking sticks. Please note that the optional tours do not have an option for a Gentle Walkers group.
Gratuities are provided for your Avalon Cruise Director, cabin steward, dining room steward, bus person, maître d’, reception, bar staff and other-behind-the-scenes crew members and are included in the cost of the cruise. Gratuities are also included for the local guides and bus drivers.
Should you receive exceptional service and wish to tip more, this is completely at your discretion.
Internet / e-mail / fax
Complimentary Wi-Fi is included on board in public spaces for use on your personal laptops and iPads. There is an onboard Internet center with two desktop computers for guest use. Faxes can be sent from the Reception Desk for a charge.
Laundry and pressing service is available. Dry-cleaning or self-service laundry facilities are not available on board. Check on board for pricing.
The ship is minutes away from hospitals when we are docked and close to local towns along the river. The ship does not have an onboard doctor.
Money: Paying for things on board
The currency used on board is Euros (€). All purchases made on the ship will be charged to your onboard account, which you create when you first check in. Cash, Visa, MasterCard, and American Express are accepted. Please check with the front office on the ship for further details.
Each cabin has a phone to call cabin-to-cabin and international/local calls. There is an additional fee to use this phone for international or local calls; cost is available on board.
The Ms Tranquility II has entirely non-smoking interiors. Smoking is not permitted in your cabins or on the french balconies. A smoking area will be designated on an outdoor deck.
There is an onboard beauty salon. Hair appointments and manicures are available for an additional fee. Massage services and pedicures are not available, but we can make recommendations in some of the ports we visit for these services.
We will have a solos program on board led by a solos coordinator who will ensure you have a great time.
- Comfort Collection BedsSM
- Egyptian super-combed cotton linens
- Soft & firm pillows
- Choice of bed configuration
- Bedside tables with reading lamps
- Upscale bath products
- Easy under-bed luggage storage
- Alarm clock
- Bathrobes & slippers
- Complimentary bottled water
- Individual climate control
- Large mirror in bathroom
- Two windows
- Writing desk and chair
- Luxurious mattress toppers
- European-style duvets
- Extra blankets
- Nightly turn-down service
- Spacious closets with shelves for ample storage
- Flatscreen satellite TV with movie channel
- Direct-dial telephone
- Well-stocked minibar
- In-room safe
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Full shower with glass door
- Vanity and lighted makeup mirror
After Your Trip
After your two nights in Prague for the included land program of your trip, your flights can depart Prague airport at any time on December 11. Transfer to the airport will be on your own.
Transfers to the airport
The hotel concierge can assist you with your taxi, or our local rep can give you a number to call for taxi service (less expensive). Pre-arranged private taxis will run approximately $40-$50 U.S., but will need to be paid in local currency. If you call for a taxi service, taxis will run between $25-$35. It is approximately 25-30 minutes to the Prague airport (PRG).
We will have optional 1-night post option in Prague to extend your visit. Please visit Vacation Stretcher for more information approximately 11 months prior to the trip.
Didn’t find what you are looking for? Check out our Olivia travel FAQ or call us at 800-631-6277 (inside the U.S. & Canada) or 415-962-5700 (Outside the U.S. & Canada) and select option 2.