- Aguas Calientes - Machu Picchu
This is a physically active trip at high elevation. To participate you must be able to:
- Walk 3 miles without resting
- Walk over uneven ground, including on cobblestones, grass, and dirt trails with rocks that you may need to step over
- Walk up and down steep stairs of varying sizes, without handrails
- Walk up and down steep inclines and declines
- Not be impacted by elevation issues (elevation will range from sea level to over 11,000 feet)
Added Physical Requirements for Guests on the Inca Trail Hike from Kilometer 104 (Tuesday, September 15, $335 per person):
- Must be able to hike at elevations higher than 7,000 feet for a minimum of 8 miles with a vertical climb of almost 1,000 feet
- Hike over cobblestones, grass, dirt trails, and uneven stairs made of rocks
About Our Destination
Peru is temperate in September, staying between 65-68°F during the day and 55-58°F at night in Lima. Cusco, the Sacred Valley, and Machu Picchu temperatures will be 65-69°F during the day and 35-39°F at night.
The official currency of Peru is the Peruvian nuevo sol. For updated exchange rates, click here.
Spanish is one of Peru’s official languages―along with Quechua, Aymara, and other native tongues―but English is widely spoken.
Before Your Trip
What is Included?
- Transportation from the Lima International Airport to the Belmond Miraflores Park Hotel
- Hotel stays:
- 2 nights in Lima at the Belmond Miraflores Park Hotel
- 2 nights in Urubamba at the Tambo del Inka Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
- 2 nights in Aguas Calientes/Machu Picchu at the Sumaq Machu Picchu Hotel
- 2 nights in Cusco at the JW Marriott el Convento Cusco Hotel
- 1 night at Wyndham Costa del Sol Hotel at the Lima airport‡
- Dinner at Casa de Aliaga
- Airport assistance in Lima for flight to Cusco
- Flight from Lima to Cusco*
- Airport assistance in Cusco with tour, a picnic lunch overlooking the Sacred Valley and transportation to Tambo del Inka Luxury Collection Resort & Spa in Urubamba
- Local tours in the Sacred Valley
- Luxury Hiram Bingham train to and from Machu Picchu*
- Optional Vistadome train to kilometer 104 for day Inca Trail hike to Machu Picchu† (please refer to Tuesday, September 15 in day-by-day itinerary for detailed information)
- 1-day guided tour of Machu Picchu
- Entry tickets:
- Three entry tickets to Machu Picchu
- Entry to Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu Mountain
- Local tour in Cucso
- Transportation to Cusco airport
- Flight from Cusco to Lima airport*
- Airport assistance at all airports
- Meals as indicated on the itinerary
- Olivia staff assistance throughout
*Cost subject to change.
†Optional alternate tour on September 15 has an extra charge. Inquire with our Travel Consultants at time of booking. Please also check physical requirements for this optional tour.
‡Wyndham Costa del Sol Hotel stay is available for those who will fly back to their hometown after 9 pm on September 19 or at any time on September 20.
What’s Not Included?
- Roundtrip airfare from your hometown to Lima
- Incidentals at hotels
- Meals not listed
- Alcoholic beverages not listed
Unexpected events can cause you to cancel your vacation. Because we are committed to this charter, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined in our Olivia Terms & Conditions.
2020 Machu Picchu Adventure
Cancellation 270 days or more prior to trip date
$500 per person
Cancellation 210-269 days prior to trip date
25% of trip cost
Cancellation 150-209 days prior to trip date
50% of trip cost
Cancellation 120-149 days prior to trip date
75% of trip cost
Cancellation 0-119 days prior to trip date
100% of trip cost
Passport and Visa
You will need a passport that is valid for 6 months past the last date of the trip. If you are a US citizen, you DO NOT need a visa. If you are not a US citizen, please check with both your country’s consulate and the consulates of the countries we will be visiting to make sure that you do not need an entry visa or other additional documentation.
Please check with your local Public Health Department or personal physician regarding immunization requirements for all countries on your itinerary. You may also check the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Prevention’s website at: www.cdc.gov. Click on the Travelers’ Health section, then click on the destinations link and choose your destination in the “For Travelers” pull-down menu.
Olivia recommends that you purchase a travel protection plan to protect yourself and your trip investment. Now more than ever it’s important to think about the unexpected. It is best to purchase the travel protection within 15 days of your initial trip deposit date to be eligible for certain coverages, but it is never too late. Consider travel protection for Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption, Emergency Medical and Emergency Evacuation, Trip Delay, Baggage Delay and more. Click here for a few reasons why it is a great idea to consider travel insurance.
For a travel insurance quote, more information or to purchase a protection plan, please call Olivia at 800-631-6277 (U.S. residents only) and select option 1 for a travel consultant.
Community: Meeting Olivians Online
If you'd like to chat with people who are going on the trip, you can join the official Facebook group.
Travel and Arrival
You will need to fly into and out of Lima, Peru (LIM). Most flights arrive in the evening or very early morning. If you are interested, you may book extra hotel nights at the Belmond Miraflores Park Hotel through the hotel’s website. If you book an Ocean View Club Junior Suite, you will not have to change rooms when our program begins.
Arrival and Departure Times
Flights into Lima can arrive any time on September 11 (hotel check-in begins at 3 pm) or in the morning on September 12.
You can leave after 9 pm on September 19 or any time on September 20. A room at the Wyndham Costa del Sol Hotel is included in your fare for the evening of September 19. Check-in starts at 2 pm on September 19, and checkout is at 12 pm on September 20.
Please note that if your flight departs late on the evening of September 20, you will need to check out of your hotel room by 12 pm that day. In this case, you may want to consider booking an additional night directly with the hotel so you can keep your room up until your departure to the airport.
The Wyndham Costa del Sol Hotel is at the airport and directly across the street from the international terminal. The hotel staff can provide directions on how to walk across the sky bridge that links the hotel to the international terminal.
Please visit our airfare specials page for the most up-to-date information.
There is no luggage limit on the Machu Picchu program itself. However, the airline carrier for the included domestic air (Lima to Cusco and Cusco to Lima) has strict luggage allowances.
- Dimension: 62 inches
- Domestic flights (LIM/CUS/LIM): 1 piece with maximum weight of 50 lb
- Regional Flights (LIM/GYE): 1 piece with maximum weight of 50 lb
- Dimension: 21 inches X 13 inches X 9 inches
- Weight: 17 lb
- Plus, one personal item (backpack, tote bag etc.)
Because regulations vary for different airline carriers, we recommend you check with your airline for baggage allowances for your international flight.
Olivia’s Preferred Travel Agency
We are pleased to announce Olivia’s partnership with Conlin Travel. Conlin Travel is one of the “Top 50” Travel Agencies in the country ranked alongside some of the globe’s largest agencies. In business for almost 60 years, Conlin Travel’s core belief is aligned with Olivia’s in delivering personal concierge service to each and every traveler, every time. A full-service, gay-friendly agency with staff located across the country, Conlin Travel looks forward to assisting you with your air travel and hotel reservations for stays outside of Olivia’s pre- and post-trip packages. For air and hotel bookings, a small fee will be applied to your overall cost. For assistance, please call Conlin Travel: 1-888-278-1698
Olivia Travel Gear Store
To help you get ready for your next vacation, we’ve partnered with New Headings to create Olivia Travel Gear, our own online gear and apparel store, featuring items from leading brands, including Craghoppers, Patagonia, Teva, Outdoor Research, and Eagle Creek. Visit olivia.newheadings.com for more information!
Olivia Honeymoons and Celebrations
Register at Olivia Honeymoon Wishes for your honeymoon, anniversary, or other special celebration; browse through the selections and let your friends know just how easy it is for them to purchase a gift for you.
During Your Trip
Connectivity: Email, Internet, and Telephone
Wifi is included in all the hotels. Should you want to use your phone while in Peru, check with your cell phone carrier for travel plans to enable phone and text usage.
Lima’s electrical current is 220 volts, 60 cycles.
Gratuities are included in the cost of your trip. Gratuities go to the guides and to the staff of the hotels, trains, and restaurants.
Laundry and dry-cleaning services are available at the hotels for a fee.
On these small trips, we usually have a few solo travelers, who mix and mingle with everyone. There are no Solos coordinators for a trip this small; however, you can start to meet other solo travelers online before the trip on the Olivia’s Machu Picchu Adventure 2020 Facebook Page.
If you have a celebration or birthday that occurs during the trip dates that you have not already advised your travel consultant about, please let us know of this information as soon as possible but no less than 90 days prior to the trip.
Specific Needs—Medical, Mobility, Dietary, and Others
If you have special medical or dietary needs, please advise us at the time of booking, or contact Olivia Guest Services at email@example.com if you have not notified us of your specific needs. Please note that if we do not have your most up-to-date dietary or other needs, we may not be able to accommodate you.
Didn’t find what you are looking for? Check out our Olivia travel FAQ. Or call us at 800-631-6277 or 415-962-5700, option 1.