About Our Destination
Germany uses the Euro. Czech Republic uses the Koruna. For updated exchange rates, please click here.
German and Czech, but many people speak English.
Please note: Itinerary subject to change based on river level, traffic, and locks.
Many of the tours are walking tours on cobblestone streets, with the possibility of snow and icy conditions. There are staircases on the ship, along with an accessible lift to assist guests with mobility issues. The lift does not go to the top deck, where guests need to go to disembark the ship in some ports. Guests must be able to do short amounts of stairs and walk 1-2 miles/day on uneven surfaces without assistance. Motorized wheelchairs cannot be accommodated on board, and may be difficult to maneuver during guided tours on land in the winter. Olivia will provide a “Gentle Walkers” group on included tours whenever possible to accommodate those who need a little more time to get from place to place.
Though portable wheelchairs and scooters can be brought on board, they cannot be driven to your cabins or other parts of the ship. All light-weight, collapsible scooters and wheelchairs must be carried on and off the ship by an able-bodied traveling companion, and they must be stored in your cabins. The “gangways” for getting on and off the ships are not “drivable” for a scooter or wheelchair. The height of the space under your bed is 12.2". They may only be used on tours, and that can be difficult because of the cobblestone streets, stairwells and need to lift them up on curbs. If you are not able to get on a bus or walk without assistance, you are required to bring someone who can assist you.
- Tuesday, December 3 — Frankfurt, Germany
- Wednesday, December 4 — Frankfurt, Germany — Wiesbaden
- Thursday, December 5 — Miltenberg
- Friday, December 6 — Würzburg
- Saturday, December 7 — Bamberg
- Sunday, December 8 — Nuremberg
- Monday, December 9 — Nuremberg — Prague, Czech Republic
- Tuesday, December 10 — Prague
- Wednesday, December 11 — Prague
Before Your Trip
What’s not included?
- 1-night hotel in Frankfurt (breakfast)
- Accommodations on cruise for 5 nights in Comfort Collection beds with Egyptian super-combed cotton
linens, December 4–9
- Accommodations for 2 nights at 4-Star Prague Hotel, December 9–11
- Included sightseeing tours in Miltenburg, Würzburg, Bamberg, Nuremburg, and Prague
- Visits to several different Christmas markets
- All meals as indicated below while on board the ship
- Breakfast while in Frankfurt & Prague hotels
- Wine, beer, or soft drinks with included onboard lunches and dinners and complimentary sparkling
wine with onboard breakfast
- Coffee, tea, juices during all meals on board the ship
- Premium coffees, cappuccinos, lattes, hot chocolate, and teas on board the ship
- Cookies and fresh fruit available throughout the day on board the ship
- Complimentary bottled water replenished in rooms daily on board the ship
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on board the ship
- Complimentary Nordic walking sticks on board the ship
- Transfer from ship in Nuremberg to Prague on December 9
- Tips to all local guides and bus drivers on all included tours and optional tours covered in NDAs
- Gratuities to ship's staff and Avalon Cruise Director covered in NDAs
- Olivia’s signature entertainment and programming
- Olivia Staff assistance throughout
Travel documentation and identification
You will need a passport that is valid for six months past the date of the trip. If you are not a U.S. citizen, please check with both your country’s consulate and the consulates of the countries we will be visiting to make sure that you do not need an entry visa or other additional documentation.
If you are a U.S. Citizen, you DO NOT need to get a visa for travel to Germany or Czech Republic.
Please check with your local Public Health Department or personal physician regarding immunization requirements for all countries on your itinerary. You may also check the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Prevention’s website at: www.cdc.gov. Click on the Travelers’ Health section, then click on the Destinations link and choose your destination in the “For Travelers” pull-down menu.
Unexpected events can cause you to cancel your vacation. Because we are committed to this charter, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined in our Olivia Terms & Conditions.
- Transfer from airport to host hotel in Frankfurt, hotel to airport in Prague, optional tours, alcoholic
beverages, and soft drinks (except where indicated), meals not indicated in below itinerary
- Meals not on board the ship, with exception of breakfast on day 2 and breakfast on days 7, 8, and 9
- Laundry, phone/fax, and salon services
2019 WINTER WONDERLAND & CHRISTMAS MARKET RIVERBOAT
|Cancellation Fee 270 days or more prior to trip date
||$500 per person
|Cancellation Fee 210-269 days prior to trip date
||25% of trip cost
|Cancellation Fee 150-209 days prior to trip date
||50% of trip cost
|Cancellation Fee 120-149 days prior to trip date
||75% of trip cost
Cancellation Fee 0-119 days prior to trip date
||100% of trip cost
Olivia recommends that you purchase a travel protection plan to protect yourself and your trip investment. Now more than ever it’s important to think
about the unexpected. We recommend you purchase the travel protection within 15 days of your initial invoice date to receive the most comprehensive coverage,
but it is never too late. Consider travel protection for Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption, Emergency Medical and Emergency Evacuation, Trip Delay, Baggage Delay and more.
Please refer to the Policy/Description of Coverage for a summary of the terms, conditions, exclusions and limitations of the applicable Protection Plan.
For a travel insurance quote, more information or to purchase a protection plan, please call Olivia at 800-631-6277 and select option 1 for a travel
Olivia’s preferred travel agency
We are pleased to partner with Conlin Travel, one of the “Top 50” Travel Agencies in the country ranked alongside some of the globe’s largest agencies. In business for almost 60 years, Conlin Travel’s core belief is aligned with Olivia in delivering that personal concierge service to each and every traveler, every time. A full-service, LGBTQ-friendly agency with staff located across the country, Conlin Travel looks forward to assisting you with your air travel and hotel reservations for stays outside of Olivia’s pre- and post-trip packages. For air and hotel bookings, a small fee will be applied to your overall cost.
For assistance in making a reservation, please call Conlin Travel: 888-278-1698 (Monday–Friday: 8:30 am to 5:30 pm EST)
If you already have a reservation with Conlin and need emergency after-hours service, please call 800-823-1189.
Joining the Olivia.com and Facebook trip groups
If you'd like to chat with people who are going on the trip, sign up for the official Olivia trip group, Olivia's 2019 Winter Wonderland & Christmas Market Riverboat Official Trip Group on our connect page. You can also join Olivia’s Winter Wonderland & Christmas Market Riverboat 2019 Group on Facebook.
If you have any celebrations and birthdays during the trip that you have not already advised your travel consultant about, please let us know of this information as soon as possible, but no less than 90 days prior to the trip.
Olivia Honeymoons and Celebrations
Register at Olivia Honeymoon Wishes for your honeymoon, anniversary or other special celebration; browse through the selections and let your friends know just how easy it is for them to purchase a gift for you.
Olivia Travel Gear Store
To help you get ready for your next vacation, we’ve partnered with New Headings to create Olivia Travel Gear, our own online gear and apparel store, featuring items from leading brands, including Craghoppers, Patagonia, Teva, Outdoor Research, and Eagle Creek. Visit olivia.newheadings.com for more information!
Travel and arrival
Where to fly into/out of
You will need to fly into Frankfurt, Germany (FRA) and out of Prague, Czech Republic (PRG).
Suggested arrival/departure times
Flights may arrive at any time into Frankfurt, Germany (FRA) on December 3. Your arrival day is free to explore on your own. You will overnight at a Frankfurt hotel.
Flights may depart from Prague-Ruzně International Airport (PRG) at any time on December 11, as we overnight in Prague on December 10.
Airfare discountsSave up to 15% on your airfare through our partner airlines. Please visit our airfare discount page for the most up-to-date information.
While there is no luggage limit on the cruise itself, airlines often restrict (or charge) for excess baggage. Because each airline is different, and the regulations change over time, please check with your airline for baggage allowances. For travel in Europe, we recommend no more than one large piece and a smaller carry-on for ease of travel. The Riverboat ship prefers all guests carry one piece of checked luggage each.
Transfers and meeting up with Olivia
Getting to the ship
Your transfer to the ship from our Frankfurt host hotel is included on our group transfer. (Time to be confirmed.) The driving time is approximately 1 hour. Information on exact ship location will be in final documents.
During your trip
Avalon's ms Visionary Ship
Built in 2012, the Avalon Visionary delivers an intimate setting, along with two full decks of suites featuring Wall-to-Wall Panoramic Windows that transform the living space into a unique Open-Air BalconySM. With 200 square feet, Panorama SuitesSM are more than 30% larger than the industry standard, giving you the rare opportunity to wake each morning to the enchanting scenery and fresh breezes. Some of the features and amenities you’ll enjoy on board:
- Wall-to-Wall Panoramic Windows
- Sky Deck with premium lounge chairs and shade awnings
- Fitness Center
- Non-smoking interiors and staterooms
- Elegant, contemporary design
- Outside viewing deck
- Headsets for guided shore excursions
- Friendly, English-speaking crew and Cruise Director
- Sightseeing with certified local guides
- Onboard lectures
- Room service for Continental breakfast & beverages (service fee applies)
- Sky Deck whirlpool
- Complimentary computer use in public areas
- Complimentary Wi-Fi access
- Hair salon
- Bicycles available onboard for complimentary check-out (weather permitting)
- Alternate light lunch and dinner in the Panorama Bistro
- Avalon Choice® cruising experience
- Behind-the-scenes galley tour
- Nordic walking sticks available onboard for complimentary check-out
- Local FavoritesSM onboard experiences to bring the customs, cultures, and tastes of your destinations to life, including local entertainers, artisans & experts
- English-speaking TV channels with over 100 free movie options
- Onboard assistance is available to recommend, reserve and further personalize your cruise
- Delectable petite portions of regional specialties, with wines, in the Panorama Bistro
- Sky Deck game area
- Self-serve beverage station with complimentary tea, hot chocolate & premium coffees, including decaf options
- Well-stocked library
- Fresh fruit available throughout the day
- Full-size closet mirror
The fine dining on board offers European cuisine. Breakfast and lunch are served buffet style, and dinner is sit-down menu service. You can even have a champagne breakfast every morning!
Special mobility and dietary needs
If you have special medical or dietary needs, please advise us at the time of booking. Complex food allergies and/or needs must be submitted to the cruise line 30 days prior to the cruise. Guests with diabetic, lean/light, low cholesterol, low sodium, vegetarian, kosher, gluten-free, lactose-free can be accommodated. Please contact Olivia Guest Services at email@example.com if you have not notified us of your dietary needs.
The cabins have 110- and 220-volt electricity. Adapters should be 2-round prongs.
Gratuities are provided for your Avalon Cruise Director, cabin steward, dining room steward, bus person, maître d’, reception, bar staff and other-behind-the-scenes crew members and are included in the cost of the cruise. Tipping is also included for the local guides and bus drivers. Should you receive exceptional service and wish to tip more, this is completely at your discretion.
Each cabin has a phone to call cabin-to-cabin and international/local calls. There is an additional fee to use this phone for international or local calls; cost is available on board.
Complimentary Wi-Fi is included on board in public spaces for use on your personal laptops and iPads. There is an onboard Internet center with two desktop computers for guest use. Faxes can be sent from the Reception Desk for a charge.
Laundry and pressing service is available. Dry-cleaning or self-service laundry facilities are not available on board. Check on board for pricing.
The ship is minutes away from hospitals when we are docked and close to local towns along the river. The ship does not have an onboard doctor.
There is an onboard beauty salon. Hair appointments and manicures are available for an additional fee. Massage services and pedicures are not available, but we can make recommendations in some of the ports we visit for these services.
Money: Paying for things on board
The currency used on board is €Euros. All purchases made on the ship will be charged to your onboard account, which you create when you first check in. Cash, Visa, MasterCard and American Express are accepted. Please check with the front office on the ship for further details.
The ms Visionary has entirely non-smoking interiors. Smoking is not permitted in your cabins or on French-style balconies. A smoking area will be designated on an outdoor deck.
We will have a solos program on board, led by a solos coordinator who will ensure you have a great time. You can start to meet other solos and travelers online in the Olivia’s Winter Wonderland & Christmas Market Riverboat Group.
Entertainment and programming
We will bring two Olivia entertainers to perform on several evenings, as well as utilize some of the local entertainment along the way.
There will be special port talks about the history of the areas we visit, holiday stories, and suggestions on things to do in your free-time.
River cruising is about port destinations. Don’t expect the same ship-activity packed schedule you might find on a big ship! A typical day is a walking tour of a new city, lunch on board, and another walking tour, free time or optional tour to explore. Perhaps you’ll enjoy a fun and informative lecture on the history of the area or take that well-deserved nap. It’s your vacation! In the evenings, we are delighted with local entertainment or one of our two Olivia entertainers. After the shows, enjoy our river-ship version of “Club O” with our talented staff taking turns being a “Guest DJ” to provide dancing music in the main lounge. Or you may choose to get to bed early for your next full day!
A walking and/or city tour is included in each of the ports visited. Optional tours are available to book on board that range from approximately €34 to €60. These tours do not conflict with the included tours.
We will designate a group on each included tour whenever possible as a “gentle walkers” group. This is for those who need a little extra time walking, perhaps have scooters, canes and even for photographers who like to stop and take more photos. For those with mobility issues, we suggest purchasing a cane that can also fold out to be a seat so you can rest while the group stops to listen to the guide.
- Comfort Collection BedsSM
- Egyptian super-combed cotton linens
- Soft & firm pillows
- Choice of bed configuration
- Bedside tables with reading lamps
- L'Occitane bath products
- Easy under-bed luggage storage
- Alarm clock
- Bathrobes & slippers
- Complimentary bottled water
- Individual climate control
- Large mirror in bathroom
- Two windows
- Writing desk and chair
- Luxurious mattress toppers
- European-style duvets
- Extra blankets
- Nightly turn-down service
- Spacious 3-door closets with shelves for ample storage
- Flatscreen satellite TV with movie channel
- Direct-dial telephone
- Well-stocked minibar
- In-room safe
- Elegant, contemporary design
- Full shower with glass door
- Vanity and lighted makeup mirror
After Your Trip
After your two nights in Prague for the included land program of your trip, your flights can depart Prague airport at any time on December 11. Transfer to the airport will be on your own. The hotel concierge can assist you with your taxi.
Transfers to the airport
Private taxis can be arranged at the hotel. Pre-arranged private taxis will run approximately $30-$35 USD, paid in local currency. It is approximately 25-30 minutes to the Prague airport (PRG).
We will be offering a 1-night post stretcher in Prague, December 11–12, 2019. Please refer to the Vacation Stretcher page for more information.
Didn’t find what you are looking for? Check out our Olivia travel FAQ or call us at 800-631-6277 (inside the U.S. & Canada) or 415-962-5700 (Outside the U.S. & Canada) and select option 2.