France uses the Euro. Check www.xe.com for current rates.
French, but many people speak English
- Tuesday, July 7 – Paris – Dijon – Beaune – St. Jean de Losne (Early morning transfer from Paris to Dijon-Beaune-St. Jean de Losne; Leaving host hotel approx. 8 am)
- Wednesday, July 8 – Mâcon
- Thursday, July 9 – Lyon
- Friday, July 10 – Lyon
- Saturday, July 11 – Tournon/Tain l’Hermitage – Viviers
- Sunday, July 12 – Avignon
- Monday, July 13 – Arles
- Tuesday, July 14 – Port Saint-Louis (Disembarkation)
NOTE: Itinerary is subject to change based on port availability and river level.
We will be offering a 1-night, 2-night and 3-night pre-trip extension in Paris July 6-7, 5-7 or July 4-7, 2020. Please check our Vacation Stretcher tab for more information.
These trips do require a level of mobility, as most of the tours are walking tours for up to 3 hours, which may include walking on cobblestone streets and stairs. A “Gentle Walkers” Group is offered on most included walking tours, which accommodates those needing a little extra time and sometimes a shortened version of a tour, keeping in mind as few stairs as possible. If you are bringing a portable wheel chair or collapsible travel scooter, they must be able to collapse and be stored in your cabins. They cannot be used to get around the ship, only to use while off the ship. They may be used on tours that are accessible, but that can be difficult because of the cobblestone streets, stairwells and need to lift them up on curbs.
While we would love for everyone to experience an Olivia river cruise, we regret that we cannot provide individual assistance for guests with special needs, including (but not limited to): mobility and hearing impairment. A qualified and able-bodied passenger must accompany travelers who require assistance.
Before Your Trip
What’s not included?
- Early morning transfer from host hotel in Paris to the ship in St. Jean de Losne on July 7, with stop in Beaune and included tour (choice of wine tasting or the Hotel Dieu tour). Travel time is approx. 5 hours.
- Included sightseeing tours in Beaune, Mâcon, Lyon, Tournon, Viviers, Avignon, and Arles
- Accommodations for 8 days/7 nights in Comfort Collection beds with Egyptian super-combed cotton linens
- All meals while on board, with a French cheese and French cuisine option each evening
- Wines from France's most famous wine regions, beer, or soft drinks with lunches and dinners, and complimentary sparkling wine with breakfast
- Coffee, tea, and juices during all meals
- Premium coffees, cappuccinos, lattes, hot chocolate, and teas throughout the day
- Cookies and fresh fruit available throughout the day
- Complimentary bottled water replenished in rooms daily
- Complimentary WiFi on board
- Complimentary bicycles available for time on shore
- Complimentary Nordic walking sticks
- Gratuities to ships staff (covered in NDAs)
- Gratuities to your tour guide and bus driver (covered in NDAs)
- Olivia’s signature entertainment and programming
- Local entertainment, commentaries while cruising and historic talks by local expert and Avalon Cruise Director
- Group transfer from ship in Port Saint-Louis to Marseille airport on July 14 (for flights departing after 10:30 am)
- Olivia Staff assistance throughout
Travel documentation and identification
You will need a passport that is valid for six months past the date of the trip. If you are not a U.S. citizen, please check with both your country’s consulate and the consulates of the countries we will be visiting to make sure that you do not need an entry visa or other additional documentation.
If you are a U.S. Citizen, you DO NOT need to get a visa for travel to France. If you are not a U.S. citizen, please check with both your country’s consulate and the consulates of the countries we will be visiting to make sure that you do not need an entry visa or other additional documentation.
Please check with your local Public Health Department or personal physician regarding immunization requirements for all countries on your itinerary. You may also check the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Prevention’s website at: www.cdc.gov. Click on the Travelers’ Health section, then click on the Destinations link and choose your destination in the “For Travelers” pull-down menu.
Unexpected events can cause you to cancel your vacation. Because we are committed to this charter, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined in our Olivia Terms & Conditions.
- Transfer from the ship to the Paris airport to the Meeting Point Hotel in Paris
- Optional excursions (they do not conflict with included tours)
- Wine tastings
- Alcoholic beverages, additional bottled water and soft drinks (except where indicated)
- Salon services
Olivia recommends that you purchase a travel protection plan to protect yourself and your trip investment. Now more than ever it’s important to think
about the unexpected. We recommend you purchase the travel protection within 15 days of your initial invoice date to receive the most comprehensive coverage,
but it is never too late. Consider travel protection for Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption, Emergency Medical and Emergency Evacuation, Trip Delay, Baggage Delay and more.
Please refer to the Policy/Description of Coverage for a summary of the terms, conditions, exclusions and limitations of the applicable Protection Plan.
For a travel insurance quote, more information or to purchase a protection plan, please call Olivia at 800-631-6277 and select option 1 for a travel
Olivia’s preferred travel agency
2020 BURGUNDY TO PROVENCE RIVERBOAT
|Cancellation Fee 270 days or more prior to trip date
||$500 per person
|Cancellation Fee 210-269 days prior to trip date
||25% of trip cost
|Cancellation Fee 150-209 days prior to trip date
||50% of trip cost
|Cancellation Fee 120-149 days prior to trip date
||75% of trip cost
Cancellation Fee 0-119 days prior to trip date
||100% of trip cost
We are pleased to partner with Conlin Travel, one of the “Top 50” Travel Agencies in the country ranked alongside some of the globe’s largest agencies. In business for almost 60 years, Conlin Travel’s core belief is aligned with Olivia in delivering that personal concierge service to each and every traveler, every time. A full-service, LGBTQ-friendly agency with staff located across the country, Conlin Travel looks forward to assisting you with your air travel and hotel reservations for stays outside of Olivia’s pre- and post-trip packages. For air and hotel bookings, a small fee will be applied to your overall cost.
For assistance in making a reservation, please call Conlin Travel: 888-278-1698 (Monday–Friday: 8:30 am to 5:30 pm EST)
If you already have a reservation with Conlin and need emergency after-hours service, please call 800-823-1189.
Joining the Olivia.com and Facebook trip groups
Start meeting new friends right away! If you'd like to chat with people who are going on the trip, join Olivia’s 2020 Burgundy to Provence Riverboat Group on Facebook. You can also sign up for the official Olivia trip group, Olivia’s 2020 Burgundy to Provence Riverboat Official Trip Group on our connect page.
Olivia Honeymoons and Celebrations
Register at Olivia Honeymoon Wishes for your honeymoon, anniversary or other special celebration; browse through the selections and let your friends know just how easy it is for them to purchase a gift for you.
Olivia Travel Gear Store
To help you get ready for your next vacation, we’ve partnered with New Headings to create Olivia Travel Gear, our own online gear and apparel store, featuring items from leading brands, including Craghoppers, Patagonia, Teva, Outdoor Research, and Eagle Creek. Visit olivia.newheadings.com for more information!
Travel and arrival
Where to fly into/out of
You will need to fly into Paris International Airport (CDG), and out of Marseille Airport (MRS). We encourage all passengers to extend their trip with our Vacation Stretchers to enjoy all Paris and Marseille have to offer, as well as avoid the stress of unexpected delays.
Suggested arrival/departure times
Flights need to arrive into Paris, France (CDG) and out of Marseille, France (MRS). Flights must arrive prior to July 7 or early morning on July 7 with enough time to make the included transfer, with stop in Beaune, from host hotel to ship at approx. 8 am. (Exact time/meeting location TBA). To take advantage of the included group transfer to the Marseille airport, flights from Marseille must depart after 10:30 am July 14.
Save up to 15% on your airfare through our partner airlines. Please visit our Airfare Specials tab for the most up-to-date information.
The included group bus transfers from Paris to the ship and the ship to the Marseille airport limits luggage to one piece per person, plus a carry-on. Airlines often restrict (or charge) for excess baggage. Because each airline is different, and the regulations change over time, please check with your airline for baggage allowances. For travel in Europe, we recommend no more than one large piece and a smaller carry-on for ease of travel.
During your trip
Transfers and meeting up with Olivia
Getting to your ship
Your transfer to the ship from our Paris host hotel is included on our group transfer. The transfer will depart our host hotel at approx. 8 am on July 7 (time to be confirmed). The transfer will take you from Paris to the town of Beaune where you will enjoy an included tour and lunch on your own before continuing to the ship. The driving time is approx. 5 hours. With the stop in Beaune we expect to be at the ship by 4 pm.
Information on exact ship location will be in final documents. The exact docking location is not determined until closer in, and sometimes not until the day of landing. We will provide a phone number to call on the day of embarkation in case you need to get directed to the ship.
Embarkation and check-in will be available after 4 pm.
The beautifully designed Suite-ship, the Poetry II (built in 2014) features wall-to-wall panoramic windows in all Suites. The staterooms (with high windows, just above the waterline) and suites are well-appointed and are amongst the largest on the river. Some of the features and amenities you’ll enjoy on board:
Included ship amenities:
172 sq. ft. staterooms, 200 sq. ft. Panorama Suites, and 300 sq. ft. Royal Suites are some of the largest on the river.
- Wall-to-wall panoramic windows
- Non-smoking interior
- Elegant, contemporary design
- Headsets for all guided shore excursions in Europe
- Sightseeing with certified local guides
- Onboard lectures, activities, and nightly entertainment
- Room service for continental breakfast & beverages (service fee applies)
- Complimentary computer use in public areas
- Complimentary WiFi access
- Alternate light lunch and dinner in the Panorama Bistro
- Behind-the-scenes ship tour
- Use of Nordic walking sticks
- English-speaking TV channels with over 100 free movie options
- Delectable petite portions of regional specialties, with wines, in the Panorama Bistro
- Self-serve beverage station with complimentary tea, hot chocolate & premium coffees
- Complimentary maps
- Fresh fruit available throughout the day
- Sky Deck with premium lounge chairs
- Outside viewing deck
- Friendly, English-speaking crew
- Cruise Director
- Revolutionary engineering
- Sky Deck whirlpool
- Hair salon (manicures available)
- Onboard movie nights
- Avalon Choice cruising experience
- Choice of Leisurely, Traditional or Independent sightseeing options
- Local Favorites onboard experiences with local chefs, entertainers, artisans & experts
- Onboard assistance is available to recommend, reserve and further personalize your cruise
- Sky Deck game area
- Well-stocked library
- Expanded fitness center
NEW FOR 2019 AND 2020:
- All Panorama and Royal Suites have wall-to-wall panoramic windows
- Comfort Collection BedsSM
- Egyptian super-combed cotton linens
- Soft and firm pillows
- Choice of bed configuration
- Bedside tables with reading lamps
- L'Occitane bath products
- Easy under-bed luggage storage
- Alarm clock
- Bathrobes and slippers
- Complimentary bottled water
- Individual climate control
- Large mirror in bathroom
- Two windows
- Writing desk
- Memory foam mattress toppers
- European-style duvets
- Extra blankets
- Nightly turn-down service
- Spacious 3-door closets with shelves for ample storage
- Flatscreen satellite TV with movie channel
- Direct-dial telephone
- Well-stocked minibar (billed on consumption)
- In-room safe
- Elegant, contemporary design
- Complimentary WiFi
- Full shower with glass door
Fine dining on board offers European cuisine. Breakfast and lunch are served buffet style, and dinner is sit-down menu service. You can even have a champagne breakfast every morning!
The cabins have 110- and 220-volt electricity. Adapters should be 2-round prongs. Outlets can be found by the bed, on the vanity, and in the bathroom.
Entertainment & programming
We will bring two Olivia entertainers to perform on several evenings, as well as utilize some of the local entertainment along the way.
Narration will be given as we sail down the historical areas and go through the many locks, and there will be a few special talks about the history of the areas we visit.
River cruising is about port destinations! A typical day is a walking tour of a new city, lunch on board, and another walking tour, and free time or optional tour to explore. Perhaps you’ll enjoy a fun and informative lecture on the history of the area or take that well-deserved nap. It’s your vacation! In the evenings, we are delighted with local entertainment or one of our two Olivia entertainers. After the shows, enjoy our river-ship version of “Club O” with our talented staff taking turns being a “Guest DJ” to provide dancing music in the main lounge for one hour after each show. Or you may choose to get to bed early for your next full day.
A walking and/or city tour is included in each of the ports visited. Some of the ports even offer an “active run” with a local guide one morning, or a more active walk. Optional tours are available to book on board that range from approx. €39 to €79. These tours do not conflict with the included tours. Or, choose to check out one of our bicycles on board, and go for a ride!
We will designate a “gentle walkers” group on each included tour whenever possible. This is for those who need a little extra time walking, perhaps have scooters, canes and even for photographers who like to stop and take more photos. For those with mobility issues, we suggest purchasing a cane that can also fold out to be a seat so you can rest while the group stops to listen to the guide. A sample of one can be found here, but they have several different styles to choose from.
Gratuities are provided for your Avalon Cruise Director, cabin steward, dining room steward, bus person, maître d’, reception, bar staff and other behind-the-scenes crew members and are included in the cost of your trip. In addition, tipping is now included for the local guides and bus drivers. Should you receive exceptional service and wish to tip more, this is completely up to your discretion.
Should you receive exceptional serfice and wish to tip more, this is completely at your discretion.
Internet / email / fax
Complimentary WiFi is included onboard in public spaces and in your cabins for use on your personal laptops, phones, and tablets. There is an onboard internet center with two desktop computers for guest use. Faxes can be sent from the reception desk for a charge.
Laundry and pressing service is available. Dry-cleaning or self-service laundry facilities are not available on board. Check on board for pricing.
The ship is minutes away from hospitals when we are docked and close to local towns along the river. The ship does not have an onboard doctor.
Money: Paying for things on board
The currency used on board is €Euros. All purchases made on the ship will be charged to your onboard account, which you create when you first check in. Cash, Visa, MasterCard and American Express are accepted. Please check with the front office on the ship for further details.
Each cabin has a phone to call cabin-to-cabin and international/local calls. There is an additional fee to use this phone for international or local calls; cost is available on board.
The ms Poetry II has entirely non-smoking interiors. Smoking is not permitted in your cabins or on your French balconies. A smoking area will be designated on an outdoor deck.
There is an onboard beauty salon. Hair appointments and manicures are available for an additional fee. Massage services and pedicures are not available, but we can make recommendations in some of the ports we visit for these services.
We will have a solos program on board led by a solos coordinator who will ensure you have a great time. You can start to meet other solo travelers online in Olivia’s 2020 Burgundy to Provence Riverboat Official Facebook Group.
Special Diets and Special Needs
If you have any medical, mobility needs, or specific dietary requirements that you have not already advised your travel consultant about, please visit the travel preferences page to update your personal needs information. Please advise us of this information as soon as possible but no less than 90 days prior to the trip.
If you have a celebration or birthday that occurs during the trip dates that you have not already advised your travel consultant about, please let us know of this information as soon as possible but no less than 90 days prior to the trip.
- Gear & ideas: Bikes & Helmets (16 per ship), binoculars, yoga mats, stretch bands, day packs, fit bits, Nordic walking sticks, bike/hike/jog maps, picnic blankets all available for check-out at no charge
- Avalon Adventure Host—lead fitness activities and active excursions / resource for independent active exploration
After Your Trip
If taking advantage of our included group bus transfer to Marseille airport, flights must depart after 10:30 am on July 14. Disembarkation for this transfer will begin at 7 am.
However, if you choose to do your own transfer to the Marseille airport, your flight can depart at any time as we will be overnighting in Port St Louis the evening prior. The airport is about 1 hour from the ship and will cost about €200+ for a pre-arranged taxi (there are no waiting taxis in Port St Louis). If you are not taking the group transfer, you are welcome to stay on the ship, store your luggage and remain in the lounge until the early afternoon, but you will need to vacate your cabin by 8 am. The reception desk can assist you in arranging your transfer needs to your next destination.
Transfers to the airport
Private taxis can be arranged on the ship. Pre-arranged private taxis will run approx. €200+ to Marseille.
We will have an optional 1-night, 2-night and 3-night pre-package in Paris to extend your pre-trip visit. And, because we end the trip on Bastille Day, we will offer a 1-night and 2-night post-package in Marseille to enjoy the festivities. Please visit Vacation Stretchers for more information approx. 9-11 months prior to the trip.
Didn’t find what you are looking for? Check out our Olivia travel FAQ. Or call us at 800-631-6277 (inside the U.S. & Canada) or 415-962-5700 (Outside the U.S. & Canada) and select option 1.